Sulphur Shelf (Laetiporus sulphureus)
SULPHER MUSHROOM HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO CAUSE ALLERGIC REACTIONS IN SOME PEOPLE. SULPHUR SHELF MUSHROOMS GROWING ON ANY CONIFER TREE (PINE, HEMLOCK, SPRUCE, FIR, LARCH/TAMARACK, ETC.), EUCALYPTUS, OR LOCUST TREES SHOULD NOT BE EATEN!
Sulphur Shelves range from a very light yellow, sometimes white when young to a rainbow of color of dark yellow to orange. This mushroom is found growing in the old hardwood forest on oak trees. The mushroom has pores and does not have gills. It is always yellow on the underside. In my opinion these are the best mushroom Oklahoma has to offer for taste. One year there was a heavy crop of which I was able to forage sixty pounds of these mushrooms. They are excellent any way you choose to prepare them. They must be eaten young and in small portions as they can cause gastric upset to some individuals. I use only the tender parts. When they age you will find they will be infested with all types of bugs and are dry and spongy. They are sometimes referred to as chicken mushroom. You may use it as a substitute for chicken in recipes. One good thing about this mushroom is you can freeze it fresh.
Recent studies have determined that this mushroom is antibacterial. It has been studied for it's ability to kill S.aureus and E.coli. It has been reported to boost the immune system.
== Information provided on this page is for educational purposes only. Any decision to use or ingest this mushroom is an individual responsibility == .